What name will give your business the best advantage?Your name is the window to your business’ identity, and the simplest building block to connect with your ideal customer. It's ultimately how they associate themselves with your brand. However, sometimes not changing the name is the right answer. Understanding the benefit is critical.
A name can take on so many things, and be the key to identify your business.
- The built-in meaning can connect with the right audience, be relatable or establish your tone.
- It can make being remembered easier and simpler for potential customers and recommendations, which makes marketing easier and less expensive.
- It can define your approach, type of company or what you stand for.
- In a competitive world, a name can allow you to standout for the right reasons, to the right people.
- It is the signifier, a totem that will ultimately contain your brand and culture as an organisation.
- It can be something to live up to, the start of the story. A way to demonstrate what makes you different.
- It stays with you, as long as the business is remembered.
- It is your first impression, and a container for all subsequent impressions.
If you are considering changing your business, brand or product name, it can feel like an impossible task, or that it should be easy. How hard can picking a new name be? I've worked with many businesses who have invested a lot of energy and time trying to get this right themselves internally. Or they've have appointed a copywriter to develop options and not liked any of them and find themselves still struggling months later, or have to go through the process all over again having chosen a name that doesn't work out. I've developed a naming process, rather than simply a copywriting exercise, as renaming has a significant impact on your business. Getting buy in from management and employees, the best fit of a name with all the complexities of URL availability, competitors, finding something unique to you, negative associations and working with everybody's individual tastes and attitudes can be really tough. The goal of a naming process is to achieve a name that really works for your business, rather than pick from a list and risk all the other challenges.